03 October 2008

Ottawa Ethiopian Adoptive Families

When I started the process to adopt Button, there were only about 4 families in the region (about a 160km circumference) who were adopting from Ethiopia (that I knew of). Since then our group has grown by leaps and bounds; we’re now up to about 25 families! Back then I started organizing some get-togethers for the group. Our first was in April 2007 and consisted of me (with Mustang), Justice (who didn’t bring Wild Thing that first time), and a woman visiting from northern Alberta (who also had a Chinese daughter!).

In mid June we had another get-together and it was quite a different story! Justice was there (with Wild Thing this time!), Zia and her family attended, Mark & Mira with Summer’s photo in hand, Shane and Ashley with Isaiah’s photo in hand, Sandi’s gang, Allison and Mei Le (still waiting for a referral at the time), and Mona (also waiting for a referral at the time). I hope I haven't missed anybody.



I’m so pleased at how the connections are building in our group and we’re forming a little community. I’m also very pleased at the fact that there are several other ChinEthiAdian families being formed. Ours won’t be so different after all. (Well, it will, but certainly not unique, and we’ll have friends whose families look just like ours. Single mom and all.)


When everyone else had gone, my gang headed across the park to where another celebration of sorts was wrapping up. We got there in time to have faces painted and to snag a bunch of balloons that were being taken down.

No comments: