08 October 2008

Odds and ends

On Monday we had a fire drill at work. Last year we had one around the same time (it's Fire Safety Week) and I trundled down the 10 flights of stairs to the exit, ending up with jelly legs. But there are supposedly provisions in place for people with "mobility impairment" - so this time I decided to hang around and see what happened.

I went to the elevators, where we the "impaired" are supposed to gather, and waited for the floor monitors to come round us up. We were a total of 6 slow-pokes and 2 monitors. The monitors did indeed come round us up, and took us to a waiting station near the stairs where they called in to the fire drill marshalls to report 8 people waiting. Then we sat down and waited while the building burnt down the marshalls monitored the drill. I guess. After ten minutes or so of waiting and listening to the hordes descending the stairs, they sounded the all clear and we went back to our work stations.


Makes me wonder what would actually happen in case of a real fire. I might just go join the hordes...

On a semi-related note, I've noticed since returning to work that my legs are stronger than before. In particular my right leg. I had hip surgery on that leg in December 2005 and did extensive physio afterwards, but my quads and hamstrings didn't seem to regain full strength. So going up stairs was problematic - well, I just used the old "two-by-one" method: one foot up a step, then the other up to the same step. Etc. But I've discovered now that I can take stairs the usual way without having to practically haul myself up the step my weaker right leg is trying to climb. So it's not so much weaker any more.

I guess nine months of running around after kids has some benefits.

How I discovered this was that now that I'm spending hours a day mostly just sitting in a chair, I'm finding I am NOT used to it. My legs get tired, I get antsy, I need to stretch and move. (Well, after just two weeks I'm starting to get used to it. Unfortunately. But the first week was awful!) So once or twice a day I get up and go climb some stairs. I've done this occasionally in the past, as an easy way of getting some exercise while on the job. I found I can climb about seven flights (140 steps) without getting too tired and just taking one short 1-minute break in the middle. Not bad, eh?

So why didn't I go down for the fire drill? Because it involves going DOWN. I've always found it easier to go UP. Harder on the heart and lungs (tho' good for getting your aerobic workout!) but easier on the joints.

Kids Activities

Last night I registered Mustang for some actual horse riding lessons. She's done two rounds of Horsemanship, which is a prerequisite for young kids at the local stables, to ensure they are comfortable around horses before actually riding. She's almost finished her second round, and the instructor said she is doing fine and can go ahead with riding in the next session. Hooray! She is very excited about it.

Also registered for skating lessons for both of them, starting in January. And last week registered them for skiing lessons. Guess they'll stay in shape over the winter!

And found a second-bike in very good condition at a reasonable price to buy for Mustang. Her current one is a bit small, now that she's riding like a trooper! It's a snazzy yellow bike with six gears and hand brakes. I'd post a picture, but I have to get film developed first... (Luddite that I am.) She was very excited about it. I was worried that Button might be upset about not getting a new bike, too, but he seems to understand that his current bike is plenty good for another year or two, until he grows taller, too. Thank goodness.

After picking up the bike, we dropped in at our good friends' house where Alleycat and Mustang did some riding together. Since we didn't have Button's bike along, they hauled out an old scooter and he drove that. Haven't visited with P&M for ages, so had a nice afternoon and supper with them. Just like the good old days!

Learning disabiltiies

The visit to the psychologist on Monday went well enough. Except that he said he's going to be out of the country for almost a month beginning in mid-October. He figured it would be best to wait to see Mustang until after he's back. So much for getting a jump on things. I wish he'd told me that when I first contacted him...

No comments: