11 April 2011
28 January 2011
Asian Chicken Salad
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1cm fresh ginger, minced
- 2 tsp sugar
- ⅔ c canola oil
- 2 T miso
- ¼ c rice vinegar
- 150g cooked chicken, shredded
- ½ head romaine lettuce, shredded
- ½ carrot, shredded
- ½ c Chinese cabbage, shredded
- ½ c cucumber, halved lengthwise and cut in thin slices
- In a food processor or blender, puree the garlic, ginger, sugar, oil, miso and vinegar until smooth.
- Combine remaining ingredients. Toss with miso dressing.
21 January 2011
- 250g fish fillets (trout, perch, bluegill, etc.)
- 250g farmers sausage
- 1 large can tomatoes
- 4 potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 sweet red or yellow pepper
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp parsley flakes
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut fillets into strips 2 – 5 cm wide. Cut sausage into 2cm chunks. Wrap fillets around sausage chunks and secure with toothpicks. Place in a baking dish.
- Drain juice from tomatoes and set aside. Pour tomatoes over the fish-sausage rolls.
- Add the potatoes, onions and peppers.
- Sprinkle seasonings over vegetables. Pour in ½ cup of the reserved tomato juice.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- omit sausage and wrap fish with bacon
- sprinkle grated cheese on top
- add wild rice and enough water to cover
14 January 2011
- 200g medium egg noodles
- 6 slices bacon
- ½ cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 tsp each basil, oregano, marjoram, garlic powder
½ tsp nutmeg
- 1 can tomato paste
- 1⅔ cup water
- Parmesan cheese
- Cook noodles in boiling, salted water. Drain.
- Cook bacon in cast-iron frying pan. Drain off all but 2 tsp of drippings. Remove bacon and crumble.
- Add green pepper to drippings and cook until it has just lost its crunch.
- Add seasonings, tomato paste, and water. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally Reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Serve over cooked noodles. Sprinkle with cheese and crumbled bacon.
07 January 2011
- ¾ cup yellow cornmeal (or a mix of yellow and white)
- ½ cup flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup milk (or a mix of milk and buttermilk)
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 egg, beaten
- ¼ cup corn kernels, fresh or canned
- 2½ tablespoons green chile (like a jalapeno), roasted and roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a loaf or small cake pan.
- Melt butter and cool.
- Combine corn meal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt, in a medium mixing bowl.
- In another bowl, combine milk, buttermilk, melted butter and egg. Blend thoroughly. Add to dry ingredients and mix well.
- Blend in the corn kernels and green chile.
- Pour batter into the greased pan and bake for 20 – 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cut into squares and serve.