17 December 2008

Building friendships

On Sunday we had some friends over for lunch between church and the Christmas pageant. E is Ethiopian, married to a German Mennonite. They have four kids aged 1 to 6, and also brought along E’s nephew Y, who comes to church with them. Two of the children are in Button’s Sunday School class, so they had lots of fun playing together. Also with us were J and B – another adoptive single mom and her 9-year-old son who is in Mustang’s Sunday School class.






I like to encourage building friendships with other children from the church. Having strong friendships is something that helps to keep children in the church when they become teenagers. Seeing as I don’t have pre-existing friendships with the parents of Button’s classmates, it takes a bit more effort, but I find that this also builds new friendships for me, and I get to know people I might otherwise not.

No comments: