27 November 2008

Mustang learns to sew

Back in early autumn, Mustang said she wanted to learn to sew. She’s 8 now (actually 8 1/2 as of last Friday!), so I figured she was old enough to learn to use the sewing machine. I think I was around 8 when I first started sewing.


I had bought a whole bunch of fabric for a variety of projects, including some short lengths of flannel for the kids to use as blankets for their stuffies. Owing to getting two of the (similar) fabrics mixed up at the cutting table, I’d ended up with 2m rather 0.5m of the flannel for Button’s stuffy blanket.

So for a first project I told Mustang she could make a two-sided blanket for her stuffies. We took the 0.5m of panda flannel she had selected and cut a 0.5m length from the extra piece of Button’s snowflake flannel. Put them good sides together and all she had to do was sew around the four edges, leaving a small opening to turn it inside out. We then ironed it out nicely and she sewed the opening shut. This didn’t take long, so at the end of the morning Mustang had a beautiful two-sided blanket for her stuffies!

Since then she hasn't done a lot of sewing, though several of the prezzie projects for friends have involved making a few seams which I have had her do.

One of the bigger projects for which I bought material back in September was to make a fleece outfit for each kid. I had her work with me in cutting out the material for her outfit. Since then the pieces have just been sitting there, as I've been busy working on other projects and the kids prezzie projects have taken priority. But now (finally!) the fleece outfits are next on the agenda - along with a set of jammies for me. We bought flannel for jammies for each of us, and while I sewed the kids' up first thing - Mustang's wearing her new jammies in the photos here - the cut pieces for mine have been sitting there, near the bottom of the priority list.

Hmm, maybe I'll see if Mustang might like to help sew them together!!

2 comments:

Danielle said...

Beautiful blanket! Great Job Mustang!

Sebrina Wilson said...

Great job!!! I love it!