29 January 2009

Child-proof ... ?

Mustang has been home from school all week so far with a bad cough and, for the last couple of days, a bit of a fever (though it was down this morning).

Last night, on the way hom from Button's skating lesson, I stopped in at the drugstore and picked up some childen's Tylenol and cough syrup.

The cough syrup came in a bottle with one of those child-proof lids - the kind you have to push down while unscrewing.

I hate those things. I don't have strong hands or wrists so I find them difficult to open. Plus, for the past couple of days I've had a "kink" in my elbow that's made me unable to exert much pressure through the arm. When I buy pills that come with those kinds of lids, I open the bottle once and then throw out the lid and keep the bottle with no lid. Thankfully my kids are really good about this kind of thing and know not to touch medicines unless Mommy gives it to them. I've never had to worry about leaving bottles around open. They're not at kid-level, so it's not as though they're sitting around looking tempting, but still, all it would take is for someone to climb on the countertop and they could get at them if they wanted. But the kids know not to. A good thing, 'cause I'm sure there are enough medications floating around our house to kill a horse.

Anyhow, the cough syrup bottle utterly defeated me. I could not get it open. My wrist and elbow just wouldn't cooperate.

I had to call Button, my five-year old, over to open the bottle for me.

(That kid is strong!)

No comments: