06 January 2008

Pictures ???

Saturday, 5 January 2008
 
Well, folks, I tried. I got the CD with the pictures on it, but I can't seem to get them into a document. For one thing, the people ran the negatives through their machine the wring way (I presume) because all the pictures are coming up upside down when I open the files. Secondly, this old laptop (vintage 1998) I'm using doesn't have any picture viewing software, so the ohnly way to look at the pictures is by using Internet Explorer, which means each picture individually and then (because the file sizes are so large) moving the slider bar up, down, right and left to figure out what the (upside down) picture is showing. Thirdly, said laptop is using Office 98 software. I'm presuming that's the reason that when I try to import a picture into a Word document, nothing shows up. Zip, doodle, squat. (And the preview facility for importing pictures from files doesn't seem to work with this CD, so again there's no way to see what the picture is that I'm trying to import into the document…)
 
Or maybe it's some sort of incompatibility between Ethiopian file formats and Canadian file formats. Though I thought a jpeg was jpeg anywhere in the world. More likely that it's an incompatibility between the jpeg version (2007) and the software I'm using (1998).
 
Sigh. You'll just have to wait until I get back to Canada and am using my home computer that's only five years old, with newer software. Sorry!


Instant message from any web browser! Try the new Yahoo! Canada Messenger for the Web BETA

No comments: