19 May 2010

Soccer again!

Button is a keen soccer player. He plays with a group of other boys during most recesses at school (or frequently, if not most). Last fall, and even in mid-winter, when I asked him if he wanted to play soccer again this summer he wasn’t sure, but by mid-March he was keen again. So I signed him up. Of course, by the time I did so most of the spots on teams were taken, so in order to get him on a team I had to volunteer. So I am now the Manager of the Boys Under-7 team at one of the fields a short drive from home.

The managing job hasn’t been too onerous so far. The biggest hassle has been to get the volunteer coaches to respond to my e-mails! (Well, one has a good response record, one decent, and the other two – hard to reach.) I needed to pick up the uniforms to distribute, and the soccer balls another time (they were supposed to be available when I picked u the uniforms but the container from wherever – probably China – hadn’t reached us yet). And I’ll need to do a bit of coordinating for the four summer weekend “festivals” (tournaments). But it shouldn’t be too bad.


There are 13 youngsters on the team and Button is the 2nd-oldest. We had a fun time for our first practice session; the evening was relatively warm and the kids and parents were keen. So we look forward to a summer filled with goals, games, and goodies!

No comments: