21 February 2009

A good big sister

Last weekend Button had a bad cold and was quite wiped out most of the weekend. It was a long long weekend for the kids – PD Day on Friday, Family Day on Monday. Though I don’t get the Family Day holiday as I work for the feds, I took the day off anyhow.

Had planned to get groceries on that Monday, but on Sunday realized that since Monday was a holiday the grocery store likely wouldn’t be open. Called over to confirm and yes, they would be closed Monday. We really needed groceries, so I decided to go Sunday afternoon. Stalled a bit, as Button not feeling energetic, had supper … then really needed to get to the store. Tried calling one or two neighbours to see if they could take the kids for an hour, but no one was available. Button really really didn’t want to go hang around in the grocery store, even though we said he could just sit in the cart. So I called a couple of friends from church and finally found our good friends Alleycat and Bigger D who were home – parents were out of town, but both teenagers old enough to take responsibility. So dropped the kids off at their place (not too far from grocery store) while I went and stocked up.

When we got home it was around 7:30 and Button was fading fast, but I needed to get groceries put away. I told Mustang I had a special job for her – could she take little brother upstairs and help him get to sleep while I put away the groceries? She thought that was cool (and Button didn’t insist on Mommy) so off they went. About 15 minutes later she was back downstairs, Button fast asleep (in Mommy’s bed!).

The two of us had a good time reading together, drawing pictures, and enjoying ourselves before she needed to get to sleep too.

(Later last week she picked up Button’s cold and on Thursday was running a fever so stayed home from school – to her great chagrin, as it was a field-trip day to a neighbouring school to see a play. Poor Mustang!)

No comments: